Hello and Happy Friday!
Perman Wine would like to welcome its newest addition to the team, Rosie Hannah Perman. She is only 4 days old, but she already has a great palate. This dad thinks she is pretty darn cute too!
One note for those coming to the store on Saturday, I (Craig) won’t be at the store, as Rosie and her Mom need a lift home from the hospital. Sheb will be manning the proverbial fort and she probably will have a couple of good bottles open to try!
Today’s Friday Feature tackles a topic that is both near and dear to our hearts at Perman Wine: Red Burgundy!
The other week I had a couple of friends over to my place for dinner, and popped open a 12 year-old bottle of a Premier Cru Nuits-St.-Georges. The experience reminded me why there are so many addicted to Red Burgundy, including myself. The secondary aromas of Burgundy are second to none. The flavors, complexity, texture, all combines to make the most sensual wine on earth.
It leads me to wonder why such a small group of wine consumers seek out and purchase Burgundy? Why aren’t there more people clamoring?
Here are a few things you need to know:
– If you love wine, elegant wine, you must buy Red Burgundy.
– Not all Burgundy costs $200 a bottle. There are great bottles from $25 and up, and plenty of age worthy wines in the $40-$60 range.
– You don’t need to age Burgundy for 10 years, many times it drinks well 4, 5, and 6 years into its evolution.
– The “score whores” have ruined it for everyone. Yes I will use wine reviews from time to time. It isn’t the reviews that do the wine a disservice, rather those that don’t understand that 88 points is a really darn good wine. Don’t get caught up in the numbers.
– Good producers make good wine in almost every vintage. Find a producer you like, and stick with them, it will make you happy in the long run.
– Yes all the names of the villages and vineyards can drive one insane. Embrace it. Buy a great wine book, and read about the villages and all the amazing differences between vineyards.
– No more Burgundy pretense! Younger generation of America, Burgundy rocks! You will be a much happier person if you start buying it now, a couple bottles of this and that. Drink it when its time has come, with good friends, good food and a smile on your face.
Have a great weekend,
Craig & Sheb
802 W Washington Blvd
Chicago, IL 60607
312 666 4417
Mon-Fri 12-8, Sat 11-7
*** Closed Monday, May 30th, 2016-Memorial day***